Friday, February 21, 2014

Blog Post 6

A personal learning network (PLN) is a network of people or tools that you can use for help. After watching Steven Anderson's Building Your PLN and Michael Fawcett's PLN, I realized how important it is to start constructing my PLN now. Because I am not from Alabama, I believe I have started building my PLN without even meaning to. I have kept close connections with my old teachers, specifically to use them as resources once I begin teaching. I have contact information for most of them and I follow a few on Facebook. I remain in contact with the principal of my old elementary school, and had always planned to turn to her for advice when applying for jobs. I am friends with a kindergarten teacher on both Facebook and Instagram, which has given me awesome bulletin board and classroom decorating ideas. I follow many teacher pages on Pinterest for activity and decorating ideas as well. I did all of this before learning about PLN and I am not sure if any of that really counts but I think it is a step. Now that I have learned what a PLN is and how to establish one, I am interested to see who and what I can find. I have already started searching for relevant Twitter pages and we will see what I come up with!

PLN Heart

2 comments:

  1. Glad that I am not the only one that did not realize that they already had a PLN. I still stay in contact with a lot of teachers from back at home ( Mississippi) as well. Since I am not from Alabama, I have been networking with my tutee's teacher. She has given me a lot of great idea that I can use in my future class. For instance, when we were in kindergarten, we had to manually go pull a key or color when we got in trouble, but now that is all done on the computer and the students' parents have access to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great that you have already started building your PLN before realizing it. This will serve as a valuable resource for you as you continue to build your PLN over the course of the semester.

    ReplyDelete